[LINK] Does copyright have a future? [WAS: iinet wins!!]

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Feb 9 10:12:10 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Feb/09, at 9:24 AM, David Boxall wrote:

> On 7/02/2010 5:14 PM, Frank O'Connor wrote:
>> Enforceability of copyright probably isn't the issue ... that's a
>> simple problem of evidence and process ...

It's definitely not a simple process.

There's the problem of going from an IP address to a person -
definitely not a simple process.  There could be a network of
computers, there could be multi-user computers, wireless connections,
malware, trojans not to mention mistakes and time inconsistencies in
the ISP logs.

Then if you had someone's computer and had to determine what was
infringing material and what wasn't I bet even with the co-operation
of the owner it wouldn't be simple.  Do you have a receipt for
everything on your computer? Do you have a receipt for every book in
your collection?  Every CD and DVD?

Then with protocols like bittorrent to prove that someone downloaded
say a movie from you?  After going through the same process on them
that we've just been through on you, maybe they got only pieces 24 and
135 from you.  Is that copyright infringement?  And even proving that
wouldn't be simple.

And allowing companies to go down these paths would mean severe
intrusions into people's personal privacy and for what?  Something you
can maybe buy for $12.99 from Woolies?  What kind of society would we
become?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant