[LINK] Free Sydney Smart Home

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 11 16:54:09 AEDT 2010

Tom Worthington wrote:
> The NSW Government is offering a family a free smart home in Sydney for
> a year. The family will receive free accommodation in return for writing
> about their experience using the energy and water efficient features of
> the house at the Newington Smart Village Project in western Sydney.
>
> The home uses some innovative energy technology, such as fuel cells, but
> the "smart" part does not look very innovative, having the usual,
> and mostly useless, "you can monitor it from your iPhone" features of
> such display homes.

I've always wondered about that. Smart or not, I'd like the home to take
care of itself, thanks. I don't think wet-nursing the appliances is a
fun way to spend time. Let's see: "Lights on = use energy. Lights off =
not using energy." Why do I need an iPhone to tell me that?

The idea is supposed to be "a detailed picture of energy and water use".
Well: I know where the electricity goes (computers; fridge; lights;
sometimes the TV). Ditto gas (clothes dryer, winter heaters). I know
whether the water goes (showers; toilet flushing; washing machine; the
sink; the bathroom basin - in roughly descending order). So why is (say)
a home Website going to do anything other than itself become an energy sink?

The synergy between a plug-in electric car and fuel cells could be
interesting to see.

But gee, the real upside would have to be getting a chance to empty a
house so as to carry out some renovations ...
> Nate Cochrane described it in "Utilities seek Jetsons for home of the
> future" (IT News, Feb 9, 2010):
> <http://www.itnews.com.au/News/166760,utilities-seek-jetsons-for-home-of-the-future.aspx>
>

> One catch is that you have to apply via the Energy Australia E-Tendering
> Portal, which is not exactly user friendly for the average family.
Ha! Tendering portals are not user friendly for experienced tender
respondents! They are uniformly awful.

RC