[LINK] Jailbreaking (was: Inaccessible web sites)

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Feb 18 00:50:18 AEDT 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 05:37:27PM +1100, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> 1. Disclaimer: My phone has been jailbroken for as long as I can
> remember. Yes, I am a developer, but have not, nor expect to make any
> income from app development whatsoever. I chose to jailbreak to get
> extra functionality from my phone, and to explore what is possible for
> my own purposes.

so you yourself are an example that contradicts what you claimed
is the primary reason for jailbreaking.

is there any particular reason why you believe are you more law abiding
or more ethical than other jailbreakers?

> 2. The term 'illegal' is a term used by the media: however, it is
> currently in limbo due to aforementioned court case.

actually, it's not in limbo.  there is no law making it a crime
to make whatever use you want of things that you have bought.

the most that case can decide if one particular individual's
specific actions infringed on any of Apple's rights.  and
even if Apple won that case it *still* doesn't mean that
what they did was illegal - just that it breached contract
or certain rights.

> 3. I use the term 'stolen' because I believe that this is the correct
> legal term applied to the illegal copying of software. It has nothing
> to do with any vested interests or perspectives. I'm being pedantic.

being pedantic means being focussed around being precise and correct.
calling copyright infringement 'stealing' is the exact opposite of that.
the purpose of such propaganda terms is to cloud the issue with fuzzy
imprecision.

> 4. If Apple choose to make a closed system, it is their right to do
> so: same goes for Nintendos, Wii, X-Boxes etc.

and it is the user's right to circumvent that. they bought the hardware,
it's theirs to do what they want with.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>