[LINK] Use Open Source - You're a Pirate

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Feb 25 11:19:05 AEDT 2010

Frank O'Connor wrote:
> The latest intellectual foray by the reactionary forces of IP
> ownership makes interesting reading.
>
> And these venal, no talent dicks are taken seriously by the
> Australian government.
>
> 					Regards,
> ---
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/feb/23/opensource-intellectual-property
>
> When using open source makes you an enemy of the state
<snip>
> No, the really interesting thing that Guadamuz found was that
> governments don't even need to pass legislation. Even a
> recommendation can be enough.
<snip>
>      As such, it fails to build respect for intellectual property
> rights and also limits the ability of government or public-sector
> customers (e.g., State-owned enterprise) to choose the best solutions.

Though it is worth noting that the state at the Forefront of
FOSS in India is
> Kerala is the most literate state in India, with 90.86% literacy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_India>
and a democratically elected Communist Government!
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala#Government>
which could have contributed to:
<http://foss.kerala.nic.in/>

> In fact, IP enforcement is often even more strict in the open source
> community, and those who infringe licenses or fail to give
> appropriate credit are often pilloried.
<snip>

This is ofcourse the issue!

For my part, I gave a publisher rights to my work
thinking I still had attribution rights, only to find,
thanks to Google Books, my work has been reused with out
attribution by other authors of the publisher:
<http://ramin.com.au/itgovernance/as8015-on-googlebooks.shtml>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz