[LINK] Tsunami Warning - contact bom.gov.au

Stephen Wilson swilson at lockstep.com.au
Sun Feb 28 10:31:44 AEDT 2010

Regarding tsunami amplitude, what really matters is the depth of the
water where those measurements have been taken.

I don't think there is much appreciation amongst lay people of how a
tsunami operates.  It's very much like a set of ripples in a pond
created when you disturb the water from beneath.  In deep water, a
tsunami moves at amazing speed: many hundreds of km/h.  The amplitude is
usually only a meter or so, and the wavelength many kilometres.  If
you're in a boat on the open ocean. you won't notice them as they hoon
past.

But when they encounter shallow water, they slow down, bunch up, and
grow to tremendous heights that depend on the geometry of the near-shore
sea bed and coastline.

So ... it's hard to interpret the simple tables of wave heights and
general locations, to give meaningful predictions of what happens at the
beaches.  Maybe that's why the tables are described as for government
agencies only?  For laypeople the figures look trivial and could be
misleading.

Stephen Wilson
ex physicist.