[LINK] NASA Solar Storm Warning

Frank O'Connor foconnor at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 10 19:08:54 AEDT 2010

Mmmm,

At its best science is institutionalized skepticism.

At its best science tries to prove the Null Hypothesis, and not the Hypothesis

At its best there are no Laws of Science or Nature ... there are only
Theories which are deemed more or less likely based on experimental
results and observations. Sometimes predictions are made to validate
theories (e.g. Relativity, and light bending around the sun and other
gravitation wells) ... but in the main its the boring experiments and
observations that represent good science.

Theories are never proven. The scientific method only allows for the
disproving of Theories. Theories NEVER become Laws. (The press and
politicians can never get their heads around this one - for some
reason they require absolute certainty in all things. Hence
scientific theories are regarded as flimsy ... because they are not
laws ... even if the experimental results have been repeated and
validated thousands of times over.)

Having a crackpot theory unsupported by experimental verifiable data
or observation, or developing one that is contrary to existing
verifiable and repeatable results and observations, tends to rank up
there with shamanism, religion and fairies at the bottom of the
garden.

Finally, the simplest Theory that supports the experimental results,
or observations, tends to be the best.

Which is why we go with evolution, relativity (special and general),
and all the other scientific theories on which our technological
civilisation relies. Engineers of course don't give a damn about the
science ... they just go with what works.      :)

Just my 2 cents worth ...

					Regards,
---