[LINK] Specific anti-malware software?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jan 14 07:52:51 AEDT 2010

In future, as malware becomes more specific & targetted, perhaps this
move by Facebook will be a trend? That is, the larger website providers
also supply anti-crap software for their services, along with membership?

'Facebook Joins With McAfee to Clean Spam From Site'

By BRAD STONE,  January 13, 2010, 12:00 am
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/facebook-joins-with-mcafee-to-
clean-up-malware-on-site/?th&emc=th

It looks like Facebook has finally gotten fed up with all the viruses and
spam that is plaguing the social network and ensnaring and embarrassing
its 350 million members.

Late Tuesday, the company announced a deal with McAfee, a leading maker
of anti-virus software, to give Facebook users a complimentary six-month
subscription to McAfee’s Internet Security Suite ..

Facebook will also begin using a McAfee tool to scan the computer of any
user whose account gets compromised by malware.

Facebook users whose accounts get hijacked have to go through a
remediation process. As part of that, they will now have to subject their
computers to this scan to regain control over their Facebook account.

“We have seen an absolute huge rise in malware worldwide over the past 12
months, probably more than the previous five years combined,” said David
DeWalt, McAfee’s chief executive.

“We are seeing a lot more malware specifically designed and targeted at
large social networking applications. These are just the trends in the
industry.”

Mr. DeWalt said more than half of all Internet users still have no anti-
virus software protecting their computers.

Elliot Schrage, Facebook’s vice president of communications and public
policy, said that Facebook has its own technology that aims to keep
malware off the site. But, he said, “as security continues to be an issue
for Facebook and across the Web, we realized that if we really wanted to
build a leadership position that defines best practices for helping users
have a safe experience, we needed to partner with other industry leaders.”

--

Cheers,
Stephen