[LINK] Broadband billions left hanging as wireless bites back

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat Jan 16 08:30:45 AEDT 2010

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> Broadband billions left hanging as wireless bites back Ari Sharp
> January 13, 2010 SMH
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/broadband-billions-left-hanging-as-wireless-bites-back-20100112-m4u7.html
>
> Take up of wireless broadband technology by Aussies more than doubled
> last financial year. ...

My Virgin/Optus 3G has been behaving more erratically over the last few
weeks, slowing down in the mornings. Wireless is a good idea, but we
need enough infrastructure to make it work. We can't just pile everyone
on to the current mobile phone network. Also the mobile phone companies
are not willing to lower the price of wireless Internet down to that of
wired. So you pay a premium of somewhere between 10 and 100 times for
wireless.

One option I have suggested is to put wireless on the end of the NBN.
Since many people will be doing this anyway, it might as well be managed
as part of the network. The box NBN Co. install in your home could have
wireless which could be used by you, your electricity meter, or your
neighbours.

--
Tom Worthington FACS HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au