[LINK] Win7, Vista and XP experience

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Jan 20 20:50:03 AEDT 2010

This from a friend of mine.

>Sorry have been a bad correspondent lately. Home PC out of action .
>I discovered another totally new way to completely destroy Windows -
>I'm getting good at it. How's this for frustrating (and really dumb
>Microsoft design). If you run a dual boot machine with two or more
>versions of Windows like I do with Win7 with Vista and XP for things
>that need the old OS, then Windows stores all the info for choosing
>which one to boot from IN THE OLD XP SYSTEM! If you delete the old
>system eventually (which most folks will do) or it just gets
>corrupted as happened to me. NOTHING can start. You simply can't get
>any version of Windows to boot. You can inspect the partitions with
>a disk tool on a CD and it's all there and in good order but you can
>never get Windows to start up. Win7, which is actually the first
>version of Windows I really like, can't repair itself cos it can't
>get started. And actually there's nothing wrong with Win7 anyway.
>"Sheesh!" as Jan would say. Anyway all fixed now thanks to some wiz
>kid hacker somewhere who wrote a really nice free program that
>reconstructs the boot file from scratch - but it took some time to
>find it since I didn't have a working PC to go looking.....

My friend got back to me with permission to post saying that the
program is called EasyBCD 1.7.1 from NeoSmart Technologies. You'll
have to do a search to find it.

When I asked about using the Win7 compatibility process [I don't know
what that is, btw, having never seen Win7], he replied something
about having to reload all his programs instead of just keeping XP
going in a separate partition.

Anyway, if this saves people some heartache, that's great.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/