[LINK] Broadband billions left hanging as wireless bites back

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Sat Jan 23 13:32:01 AEDT 2010

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Tom Worthington wrote:
>> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>>
>>> Broadband billions left hanging as wireless bites back Ari Sharp
>>> January 13, 2010 SMH
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/broadband-billions-left-hanging-as-wireless-bites-back-20100112-m4u7.html
>>>
>>> Take up of wireless broadband technology by Aussies more than doubled
>>> last financial year. ...
>>>
>> My Virgin/Optus 3G has been behaving more erratically over the last few
>> weeks, slowing down in the mornings. Wireless is a good idea, but we
>> need enough infrastructure to make it work. We can't just pile everyone
>> on to the current mobile phone network. Also the mobile phone companies
>> are not willing to lower the price of wireless Internet down to that of
>> wired. So you pay a premium of somewhere between 10 and 100 times for
>> wireless.
>>
>> One option I have suggested is to put wireless on the end of the NBN.
>> Since many people will be doing this anyway, it might as well be managed
>> as part of the network. The box NBN Co. install in your home could have
>> wireless which could be used by you, your electricity meter, or your
>> neighbours.
>>
> Coming in late...
>
> Doesn't the "home wireless" idea break the wholesale-only model of the NBN?
>
> Regarding "enough infrastrcture" to make it work: I agree that 3G
> suffers overcrowding. I can see the huge difference between Lilyfield
> (fast) and Crows Nest (dead slow).
>
> The problem is not just the number of base stations, but the backhaul
> from those base stations.
>
> In essence, if you want "one-to-one"-like speed, I would not be
> surprised to find that in many locations, the cost of wireless begins to
> approach parity with the cost of wired.

<snip>

It's not so much the cost but
convenience/efficiency of wireless for
the end user/provider.

It was reassuring to note, Mike Quigley,
acknowledging the Foxtel Experience -
that premises don't necessarily want to
be connected. He did say that
terminations would be a combination of
on internal/external (street rim box style).

On the other hand, if a telco approached
a body corporate about putting cells on
the roof, then I am sure they would be
more willing to have an onsite connection

He also said it was unclear how business
premises would be handled - not all
building owners want to cable up their
building with fibre....I have a sense of
deja vu here and if the buildings from
the 80s are still standing, they are
probably fibred.

Marghanita