[LINK] Broadband billions left hanging as wireless bites back

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jan 26 09:41:08 AEDT 2010

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>>
>> ... Doesn't the "home wireless" idea break the wholesale-only model of the NBN?

The NBN could connect the customers to whatever Internet retailer the
customer chose, via fibre or wireless. What I had in mind was an
arrangement similar to wifi hotspots: when you plugged something into
the NBN the system would try to authenticate you. If the system can't
work out who you are, it would take you to a web page and say: "This is
the NBN, would you like to sign up with one of the following retailers:
...".

> ... telco approached a body corporate ... onsite connection ...

Wireless would help with connection in cluster housing and rented
accommodation. Residents could use the wireless service from NBN nodes
in buildings around them. If they then wanted more speed they could
order their own fibre connection.

--
Tom Worthington FACS HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au