[LINK] Broadband billions left hanging as wireless bites back

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Jan 27 08:09:13 AEDT 2010

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
<snip>
> The customer authentication happens at Layer 3 - that is, the customer
> needs to initiate communication sessions over TCP/IP to seek
> authentication. The NBNCo-owned part of the network ends at Layer 2. So
> in that sense, I do think that the proposed end-user model would require
> a different network model in the NBN.

The virgin/optus 3G service demonstrates
how it would be done. There seems to be
multiple layers of authentication. - the
modem would need to connect to the
network. The network owner does this.
Then Virgin does the authentication and
authorisation for apps above that - for
web browsing, kindle downloads etc.
<http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Generation-charging-shipment-Australia/dp/B000GF7ZRA>

> (Roger - I would feel that having the NBN rather than the retailer
> handle customer authentication would vastly expand the scope for
> surveillance, would you agree?)
>
> "Scope creep" is a risk to the NBN. It can't carry every expectation
> that anyone cares to invent for it, and in that sense, I think its
> limited scope represents a reasonable compromise.

If it buys off the shelf products for
its network, it is less likely to get
into trouble. Though wild promises by
politicians could get it into hotwater
[and smartmeters ;-)]

>>> ... telco approached a body corporate ... onsite connection ...
>> Wireless would help with connection in cluster housing and rented
>> accommodation. Residents could use the wireless service from NBN nodes
>> in buildings around them. If they then wanted more speed they could
>> order their own fibre connection.
> No real problem there: the body corporate or residents or whatever could
> simply seek a retailer to install wireless nodes as their NTUs to the
> NBN. That's not something the NBNCo has to install or own.
<snip>

On reflection, the wireless would be
installed/managed by the NBN
or the end user. Otherwise the model
breaks as different services would be
available in different places.

There are a few diagrams in the concept
paper they have released for comment.
They use the terms POI (point of
interconnect) and OLT, AEB
-unfortunately the paper does not have a
glossary.
<http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/upload/files/NBN001_concept_paper_final.pdf>

These are the specific questions they
have asked in their discussion paper:
> Questions
> •	 Do you believe this model will help foster participation by RSPs in less densely populated locations? What
>    other barriers exist to participation by RSP in these locations? How might NBN Co help address them?
> •	 Do you believe this model allow sufficient space for participation and investment by commercial
>    backhaul players? What concerns may need to be managed?
> •	 What criteria should be considered when determining whether the currently available backhaul to a
>    particular proposed regional or district PoI is competitive?
> •	 What criteria should be considered to assess the likelihood of competitive backhaul being developed
>    in the near-term future at a regional or district location where present backhaul options are not yet
>    deemed to be competitive?

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz