[LINK] iPad

Robin Whittle rw at firstpr.com.au
Thu Jan 28 16:35:31 AEDT 2010

Hi Erik,

Thanks for this link:

> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad

   The Problem

   The Apple iPad uses Digital Restrictions Management in two ways:

     *  All media in the iTunes store (with the one exception of
        music) is wrapped in Apple's DRM. That means films, TV shows,
        movies and audiobooks are locked to Apple's platform, taking
        away your right to share.

     *  All applications must be signed by Apple if they are to run,
        an unprecedented level of control for a general purpose
        computer. On top of this, Apple can push updates to the
        device over its wireless connection, letting them add or
        remove capabilities at any time.

   These restrictions make the iPad a particularly dangerous platform
   for the distribution of news media. Every publisher depends on
   permission from Apple, and Apple can remotely delete stories after
   they have been published.

Indeed.  My life has been complete without buying anything from the
Church of Apple.

I await the Asus knock-off - but will probably be perfectly happy
with the 1024 x 600 Asus Aspire One.  With a little USB 3G/GPRS modem
from my ISP Internode:

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/3g_wireless/nodemobile_data/

for $15 a month, I get 500MB.  I don't use it often, but apart from
not working well during the day on 3G at Phillip Island, it has been
great.  Internode tech support already had a similar report from
nearby - it only occurred when the (Optus) 3G network was busy.

  - Robin