[LINK] iPad

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Fri Jan 29 13:27:08 AEDT 2010

On 29/01/2010, at 1:19 PM, Fred Pilcher wrote:
> So what's the deal with no multitasking?
>
> If it's a matter of processor power, why use such a lame processor?

It's about power consumption. It's not that the processor is lame, it's that if the processor is doing things it's drawing power.

Power is always going to be the problem with portable devices as processing power increases via Moore's Law but battery technology does not advance as quickly.

This is Apple protecting the users from themselves. Rightly or wrongly.

Given that a friend loudly complained that their Nokia smartphone has only an hour's battery life -- until I pointed out that they left a GPS mapping application running in the background -- Apple may be right here.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia