[LINK] UK Gov: Own Cloud, VoIP & Open Source

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Sun Jan 31 06:38:56 AEDT 2010

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> UK Government to set up own cloud computing system:
>
> Cloud computing could save up to £3.2bn a year, says Cabinet Office

No it didn't.

The whole strategy is supposed to save up to £3.2bn a year.

The strategy includes cloud computing as a "key enabler" but it's really
only standardised infrastructure - there's no suggestion of elasticity,
a necessary feature that would make it a cloud.

The strategy has many wonderful words, but I can't help think they are
trying to boil the ocean. It's been developed by a central body but
"implementation will be through individual public sector organisations,
exploiting the infrastructure and opportunities it brings to enable
delivery of their business plans and objectives."

What's missing is a detailed implementation plan, the cost of
implemention and where they are going to get resources to do something
that's never been done before.

They have set out to save 20% per annum of their ICT spend which is an
enormous goal. I wish them well and it will be interesting see how they
get on.

--

Regards
brd