[LINK] Gillard backs internet filter

Chris Maltby chris at sw.oz.au
Fri Jul 9 12:35:59 AEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 06:26:16PM +1000, Tom Koltai wrote:
> And this an updated viewpoint of the Greens on the issue - Jump to
> comments at the bottom - showing qualified support for the greens "IF"
> they don't allocate their preferences to Labor.

As everyone should know, preference decision are made by voters, not
parties (except if you vote above the line in the senate). Parties may
recommend a particular preference order, but blaming parties for the
choices their voters then make is pretty silly. At some point each voter
will have to put one of the ALP and Coalition candidates ahead of the
other if they are to make a formal vote.

The whole question of what political parties like the Greens should
advocate on their how-to-vote leaflets is much to complicated for simple
formulas of the kind advocated to be much use. I don't think the Link
list needs to have a big discussion on this question - it's a matter for
the local party members of the Greens to decide according to their
understanding of the best outcome for the nation and the party.

The two correspondents could do worse than join the Greens and have a
direct influence on the decision...

Chris