[LINK] Conroy puts internet filter on backburner
community at thoughtmaybe.com
Fri Jul 9 13:42:01 AEST 2010
Conroy puts internet filter on backburner
The Federal Government has deferred the introduction of its mandatory internet filtering program.
Communications Minister Senator Stephen Conroy says the filter will not be put in place until an independent review can be carried out into what content would be banned.
He says the review is likely to take about a year, but leading internet service providers have agreed to block websites known to contain child pornography in the meantime.
Senator Conroy says Telstra, Optus and Primus have all agreed to the move.
"I applaud these industry members for taking this stance, for stepping up to the plate, in recognition that there is some content that is not acceptable in a civil society," he said.
"This approach is consistent with what is happening around the world."
The Government announced the filter two years ago as part of its cyber-safety program to protect children from pornography and offensive material. Last year it ran tests on the system.
Senator Conroy had intended to introduce the legislation in the first half of this year, but deferred it to later in 2010.
The plan has been criticised by internet users who claim it will slow download speeds and lead to unwarranted censorship.
More information about the Link