[LINK] MAC addresses on public wifi

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Jul 16 14:35:15 AEST 2010

I think you're asking "email header" versus "IP packet header", right?

Email header? I've not seen it. But it depends if somehow something
like the Geolocation services are enabled.

IP packet header? Only the LAN will see your MAC. But that may not be
strictly the case in IPv6 - your IP -may- contain your MAC. :)
(I hope this isn't widespread if v6 is widely deployed in the future..)

Adrian

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Linkers,
> When one uses a public wifi network and gmail, does the header
> contain the MAC address of the device that connected to the network?
> Alternatively, are there any other identifiers in the email or on the
> local network at the wifi point that would tie to a particular piece
> of hardware?
>
> Jan
>

> Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
> jwhit at janwhitaker.com
> blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
> business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
>
> Our truest response to the irrationality of the world is to paint or
> sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
> ~Madeline L'Engle, writer

- $24/pm+GST entry-level VPSes w/ capped bandwidth charges available in WA -