[LINK] Consult Citizens Online on Climate Change

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Jul 23 10:42:21 AEST 2010

Last week I attended the conference "Democratizing Climate Governance
Conference" at the Australian National University in Canberra. This was
timely as apparently the Prime Minister is about to propose a national
community consultation process on climate change.

My suggestion would be to use the "Public Sphere" Internet assisted
consultation process which Senator Lundy developed for this:
<http://www.katelundy.com.au/2009/04/29/public-sphere-1-high-bandwidth-for-australia/>

This would reduce the cost and complexity of organising deliberations
and allow for wider input by people via the Internet, to supplement
face-to-face deliberations. We have learnt a lot about how to run such
blended events since I helped run the first Public Sphere at the ANU in
2009: <http://blog.tomw.net.au/2009/05/public-sphere-1-worked.html>.

The papers for the "Democratizing Climate Governance Conference" have
now been released:
<http://deliberativedemocracy.anu.edu.au/democratizingClimateGovernance.html>.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au