[LINK] Electronic witnessing [was: High Court case Re: Register Online to Vote Should be LLegal]

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:01:35 AEST 2010

On 30 July 2010 10:40, Kim Holburn <kim at holburn.net> wrote:
>>>protecting the on-line voting registration process from 4chan and its
ilk?

The current registration system is effectively an honour system,
policed by very high penalties if it can be proved you acted
fraudulently. Dishonest e-registrations can be subject to, and
prosecuted by, the same laws.
If a 4chan kiddie registers illegally, pursue them criminally. There
is nothing stopping 4chan or other vandals from compromising the paper
system except the physical world costs of mailing forms discourage it
from happening in bulk. If the cops prosecuted some e-fraudsters the
motivations would decline, and the need to tie registrations to actual
individuals limits the mischief the vandals can cause.

Regards,
Michael Skeggs