[LINK] Publishers want universal e-books; won't cooperate to get them

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jun 2 15:13:58 AEST 2010

At 02:53 PM 2/06/2010, Kim Holburn wrote:

> > Getting their collective act together
> > Some believe the industry itself needs to get its act together
> > before pointing fingers at Amazon or Apple. "Indeed, there are
> > several open formats, but the problem is that they still need work,"
> > self-published author Cesar Torres told Ars. Torres believes that if
> > publishers worked together to get behind a particular open format,
> > the format would improve and device makers would be more motivated
> > to offer wider support.

Publishers Lunch today had a story about the US FTC investigating
Apple iStore right after the release of iPad and the new agency model
of sales that the publishers moved to about the same time. Something
about market dominance and restraint of trade.

If I were the publishers, I'd be careful about accusations of collusion.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/