[LINK] Spyware trojan hitching ride on third-party Mac screensavers

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Jun 2 16:53:25 AEST 2010

On 2010/Jun/02, at 3:28 PM, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 02/06/2010, at 2:50 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
>
>>> Removing the original application won't remove the spyware; Intego's
>>> VirusBarrier has been updated to identify and remove it, however.
>
> I simply love the fact that most of the articles I've read relating
> to this give no advice about how to either check or remove the
> malware, apart form using Intego's software.

I love how articles about Mac malware (or press releases for Mac AV
software?) always end with:

> As the Mac platform increases in popularity, such malware has the
> potential to become more widespread.

Seems they've been saying that for a very long time.

> It's not hard to spot, and not that hard to remove (if you're silly
> enough to download and install the software, which goes one step
> beyond a normal install process, but no doubt fools enough to get
> through), but it's early days yet, so Intego will get what they are
> seeking (sales, and marketing).

And they still have to get users to install malware themselves.  They
are getting sneakier about it though.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant