[LINK] Google to ditch Microsoft Windows

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jun 3 04:41:07 AEST 2010

Bernard notes,

> Google to ditch Microsoft Windows: report June 2, 2010  SMH
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/google-to-ditch-
> microsoft-windows-report-20100602-wwd9.html
>
> Web search group Google is phasing out internal use of rival
> Microsoft's Windows operating system because of security concerns
> following a Chinese hacking incident, the Financial Times reported ..

And about which FT article, Brandon LeBlanc the MS Windows Communications
Manager, posts a stabby winge about on their MS Windows Team Blog website:

<http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2010/06/01/w
indows-and-security-setting-the-record-straight.aspx>

Windows and Security: Setting the Record Straight, Jun 1 Brandon LeBlanc

There’s been some coverage overnight about the security of Windows and
whether or not one particular company is reducing its use of Windows. We
thought this was a good opportunity to set the record straight.

There is some irony here that is hard to overlook.. The Financial Times
article states that:

"Windows is known for being more vulnerable to attacks by hackers and
more susceptible to computer viruses than other operating systems."

The facts don’t support the assertion.

When it comes to security, even hackers admit we’re doing a better job
making our products more secure than anyone else. And it’s not just the
hackers; third party influentials and industry leaders like Cisco tell us
regularly that our focus and investment continues to surpass others...

--

Cheers,
Stephen