[LINK] Spyware trojan hitching ride on third-party Mac screensavers

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Jun 3 10:06:21 AEST 2010

On 2010/Jun/02, at 10:12 PM, Malcolm Miles (from a computer that's
bigger on the inside) wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:40:10 +1000, you wrote:
>
>> There is still the fact that there are many, many machines running
>> Windows unpatched, many pirated.  The decision to not allow pirated
>> windows machines to be patched ...
>
> Security patches are not denied to pirated copies of Windows.

Yeah, quite right, my bad.  They did for a while block updates for a
while and then, presumably due to criticism, changed XP WGA to allow
updates but also make the Black screen of piracy.

> "There seems to be a myth that Microsoft limits security updates to
> genuine Windows users," wrote Microsoft’s Paul Cooke, who works in
> Windows Client Enterprise Security. "Let me be clear: all security
> updates go to all users."

A myth created by Microsoft's own actions?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant