[LINK] Steve Jobs: Great unwashed don't need PCs

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 3 13:39:32 AEST 2010

On 06/03/2010 01:19 PM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Ivan Trundle wrote:

[]

>> Apple makes choices about what software (not content) is available in the way that Nintendo does (for example). On the other hand, television companies make choices about what content I get to view, radio stations do the same with what they offer, newspapers too.
>>
> But isn't that what people say is good about the Internet? - That we
> can, if we wish, bypass the gatekeepers?
>
> Without wanting to sound like Senator Steve, what makes Apple a more fit
> and accountable gatekeeper than a government?

This is a good question.
The thing is Apple's accountability comes from a different source (ie profit motive) and different constituency.  Not that I want to support Apple as a gatekeeper in any way, but I think the risks to access are different for corporate vs State censorship.  Corporates for example, shouldn't care if there's a back channel to what they're censoring.