[LINK] Deep Packet Inspection

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Jun 8 17:54:12 AEST 2010

<SNIP>

> We eventually got this:
> Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Amendment Bill
> 2010
> http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p
;adv=yes;db=;group=;holdingType=;id=;orderBy=priority,title;page=0;query
=Dataset%3AbillsCurNotBef%20interception;querytype=;rec=4;resCount=Defau
lt

>>Here's a direct link to the PDF of the Act as passed.
http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/bills/r4196_asp
assed/toc_pdf/09163b01.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf

>>This has been passed as Act no 2 of 2010.

>>Someone else will have to read it, 'cos I'll soon be busy this
morning.

OK - Here we go....

I'm sticking my hand up as an ex-carrier in four countries and an ex-ISP
in seven.

DPI if used as it was originally designed - is a good thing.

DPI is basically the tool that CSP's require to be informed of the
traffic flow information on their networks.
Without understanding the traffic flow, one can't plan or manage.

Reading a header to determine the traffic type is not a breach of
privacy.
Sorry folks - I insist that DPI in this instance is identical to an
Australia post courier sorter/postie looking at the stamp on an envelope
to see whether the item is airmail or surface mail.

We didn't need the legislation to confirm that. It's been a fact of life
in most ISP's and Carriers since around 1996.

The roads we call them traffic lights, on the net we call them "traffic
shaping", "traffic limiters", "QOS".

Without DPI, the internet would not work. Ipso Factum!

Therefore Journos that discover that their carrier is "Gasp!!! Using
DPI, need not publish the fact. I think a more newsworthy article would
be the ISP that has a QOS capable network delivering non broadcast
stream Video, VOIP and Music streaming without DPI.

DPI is not designed to read the packet contents and a conscientious and
responsible Telco won't ever go past the header data.

Tom