[LINK] Award based on ACS membership eligibility

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Jun 9 09:29:48 AEST 2010

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> ... I wonder what Engineers Australia think of "...ACS membership is the
> clear standard..."? ...

Last week, as I was coming into the ANU Engineering building, I bumped
into the joint ACS/Engineers Australia panel, who were there to
accredit ANU engineering and IT courses. So I assume that ACS and IE
Australia are still talking to each other. There are some complexities
in joint accreditation:

* ACS has an 83 page set of guidelines:
<http://www.acs.org.au/accreditation/accreditationmanual.doc>.
* IE Aust has 23 pages:
<http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/shadomx/apps/fms/fmsdownload.cfm?file_uuid=0B19D0FF-0BC5-BAC1-DB36-6FB8599DDE67&siteName=ieaust>.

ACS Certified Professional status is now recognised in some states with
  similar legislation to other professions:
<http://www.professionalstandardscouncil.gov.au/lawlink/psc/ll_psc.nsf/vwFiles/Scheme_ACS_Scheme_2010.pdf/$file/Scheme_ACS_Scheme_2010.pdf>.

The usual way to get ACS Certified Professional status is with:

* An accredited degree:
<http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=accreditation&temID=accCourses&id=110636>,
* Plus postgraduate training (which can include my Green ICT course):
<http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=becomingacp>,
* Plus 30 hours of professional development each year:
<http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=becomingacp>.

ps: Since everyone else is making declarations: I was ACS President when
we were doing the "Certified Professional" stuff. Now I am just an
ordinary member, but am one of those who will befit from having my
status legally recognised and liability capped.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au