[LINK] [OT] Recommendations for a tool to map an enterprise infrastructure?

anthony.w.hornby at gmail.com anthony.w.hornby at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:58:17 AEST 2010

Hi Everyone,
in our academic library our infrastructure is getting more and more complex.
This is driven by the need to provide increasingly seamless experiences for
clients across all of university services online (and the library services
are a key component of that).
However with a small administration team it is getting to the stage where
we need to find better ways to visualise all the interactions that are
happening to aid future planning and systems development, risk and impact
assessment of changes etc.

So I really want to map out visually the technologies we use, their
purpose, data flows between them etc and am looking for recommendations for
a tool that will allow us to generate a high-level representation that can
be drilled down into for the detail and:

1) Doesn't cost the earth. Hosted cloud-based stuff is fine. Open source /
commercial is fine.
2) Has a reasonable balance between features and complexity - just
recommend anything you think might be useful and we'll have to work this
one out.
3) Has intuitive and context driven tools - eg you can change things
directly in the interface from where you are in the map
4) Has good help and preferably a reasonable user community.
5) Something that scales as our central IT area is looking for the same
sort of tool to map the university major systems as well, and it would be
good to use the same tool.

All suggestions welcome !

Regards Anthony