[LINK] [OT] Recommendations for a tool to map an enterprise infrastructure?

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Thu Jun 10 21:15:53 AEST 2010

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 09:58, anthony.w.hornby at gmail.com wrote:
> in our academic library our infrastructure is getting more
> and more complex.  [...]
> So I really want to map out visually the technologies we use,
> their purpose, data flows between them etc and am looking for
> recommendations for a tool that will allow us to generate a
> high-level representation that can be drilled down into for the
> detail and: [...]

UML is a great tool for modelling information systems and there's a (draft?) standard for data systems, but it's
probably not what you need.

Have you looked at "concept mapping"?  There's a good article in Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_maps and a number of software tools are available.

QUOTE:
A concept map is a way of representing relations between ideas, images or words, in the same way that a sentence diagram represents the grammar of a sentence, a road map represents the locations of highways and towns, and a circuit diagram represents the workings of an electrical appliance. In a concept map, each word or phrase is connected to another and linked back to the original idea, word or phrase. Concept maps are a way to develop logical thinking and study skills, by revealing connections and helping students see how individual ideas form a larger whole.[2]
UNQUOTE

David