[LINK] PDF standard and ODF support

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Jun 11 10:18:19 AEST 2010

On 2010/Jun/11, at 10:07 AM, David Lochrin wrote:

> On Friday 11 June 2010 09:33, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> Here is an article on interoperability of ODF spreadsheets:
>>
>> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/05/update-on-odf-spreadsheet-interoperability.html
>>
>> It's not good news so far.
>
> Many thanks Kim for pointing me to that blog, which was informed and
> rather well written.
>
> I wasn't aware that Sun and Microsoft/Clever Age both have Office
> plugins for ODF support.  I'd expect the Sun plugin to work, but the
> Microsoft/Clever Age plugin (funded by Microsoft) seems much better
> than the native Office-2007 SP2 support which, at least re
> spreadsheets, is terrible.
>
> And the Microsoft/Clever Age plugin is an open-source project -
> whatever can be happening to Microsoft?  Have they had a corporate
> epiphany?

Being very cynical I'd say it's another attempt based on BG's maxim
for dealing with competition: Embrace, extend, extinguish.  Although
in general it hasn't worked so well with open-source.  Watch carefully
the "special license" terms.

Oh and by Sun I assume you meant Oracle.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant