[LINK] Library naming (was Apple iPads for Victorian School Students)

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri Jun 11 11:33:31 AEST 2010

To me a library is a place where you can go for information. It can aid
learning but education is far more than learning.

The "modern" approach to education seems to be shifting too much to a
"pull" model of student centric learning.

At least some of the education process (quite a lot, IMHO) should be
about teaching, where a person with knowledge and expertise interacts
with students in individual, guide, "push" and feedback mode.

To me it just doesn't make sense to me to expect an ignorant (which they
have to be by definition, if they are being educated) student to know
what and how to be educated. They don't know what they don't know. And
even more important, they don't know what they need to know and in what
order.

You can't replace a teacher by a computer, the internet, a book, or a
library, if you want students to be educated in a serious subject.

BTW, as it's Friday:

What's the difference between education and training?

You know when your daughter comes home and says: "today we did sex
education, tomorrow we're doing training".

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn