[LINK] History of Internet in Australia on Paper

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Jun 18 11:31:07 AEST 2010

Jamie Sunderland wrote:

> ... AARNet 20 year - History of the Internet in Australia" book is
> now available in chapter by chapter PDF from the AARNet website  ...
> http://www.aarnet.edu.au/

Good to see the book is now available free online. I suggest making it
easier to find and read by creating a web page about the history of
AARnet and having all the relevant materials, including the online
version of the book, how to buy a paper copy, videos and other sources
in one place.

The link on the AARnet home page is difficult to find. There is a
prominent video about the history of AARnet, but this doesn't provide
the book.

There is a link to a media release about the book:
<http://www.aarnet.edu.au/News/2009/11/26/AARNet-salutes-20th-anniversary-of-the-Internet-in-Australia.aspx>.
But that does not link to the online version of the book and the link
for ordering a printed copy no longer works:
http://www.aarnet.edu.au/contact-us.aspx?s=14>.

There is a small window on the right with "AARNet: 20 years". However,
this text is in grey on a grey background in an image and so hard to
see. On my screen the image covers up the text title. The word "book"
does not appear on the page, so the reader would not know it was a book.
What is visable is "Click here to download an online version", but
without saying what it is an online version of.

The link goes to a target at the bottom of a web page listing several
publications. As a result what is displayed at the top of the screen is
an unrelated publication: "Streaming_Services (2 Mb)", with the history
book being third in the list visible:
<http://www.aarnet.edu.au/about-us/publications.aspx#aarnetbook>.

Then there is another image with some small text in it saying
"AARNet: 20 years". Then there is text saying "AARNet book - complete
file  (PDF 35 Mb)":
<http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/aarnet/AARNet_20YearBook_Full.pdf>.

Then there is a list of book sections. The first section is the
"Introduction" at 500 kbytes and contains about two pages of text, a lot
of blank space and some images.

I suggest the image title be removed and the full text version of the
book put last, with the introduction first. The file could be made
smaller by reducing the image size in the PDF. It could be further
improved by modifying the design to suit online use.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au