[LINK] Australians will have to have antivirus software?

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Tue Jun 22 18:51:06 AEST 2010

On Tue 2010-06-22 16:43:53 UTC+1000, Richard Chirgwin (rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au) wrote:

> To specifically clarify the "unauthorised installation of software",
> here is the recommendation in full:
>
> > That the Treasurer amend the Australian Consumer Law to include
> > specific protections against the unauthorised installation of software
> > programs:
> > ? the reform should target the unauthorised installation of programs
> > that monitor, collect, and disclose information about end users?
> > Internet purchasing and Internet browsing activity;
> > ? the authority to install a software program must be based on
> > informed consent; and
> > ? to obtain informed consent the licence/agreement must require clear
> > accessible and unambiguous language.
>
> I think what's in mind here is "unauthorised by the user". It could be
> more clearly put: "make it illegal to install software on a user's
> computer without their informed consent".

How would informed consent be evaluated?

How about installation of software on shared computers?

Installation of software by minors?

Pre-installation of software by a computer vendor?

Installation of software as a hidden dependency?  (eg. Apple iTunes
for Windows also installed the Safari web browser, if I recall
correctly.)

Automatic software updates?

Sounds like a can of worms to me.