[LINK] google misdeeds and Australia's Privacy Commissioner

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Jun 23 15:07:22 AEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 13:59 +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> i was not suggesting anything. i was highlighting the lameness of your
> "point".

Lame or not, the point was - er, the point. Google deliberately did
something; the discussion is about whether what they deliberately did is
actually against the law in Oz.

For all the technical arguments you have brought to bear, you have still
not addressed the two simple points people have been making - that the
technology is irrelevant, and that it's about collection, not mere
interception.

> is playing dumb really the best response anyone has to my arguments?
> you're doing it, SW has done it repeatedly.  I don't recall RC doing it
> (but he's the only one who appears to be engaging in the debate in any
> honest fashion)

Noone is playing dumb. Some are ignorant (and have no doubt been
enlightened by your excellent technical descriptions), and some disagree
with you.

> > Doesn't answer the question, Craig. Please do enlighten me - how does
> > wifi store and collect data? Specifically, what data does it collect,
> > and where does it store it?
>
> i have better things to do with my time

Ah - the last resort of the person without an answer!

Wifi does not store or collect data beyond a tiny amount necessary to
maintain connections and encode/decode data. It certainly does not store
or collect any payloads. If you have any technical references showing
the contrary, do please feel free to provide them. You are after all the
one constantly requesting "proof".

> if, by some extremely unlikely chance, your question is not just a
> tedious rhetorical device and you really want to know then go back and
> read the previous posts in this thread. but take your blindfold off
> first. reading is known to be more effective that way.

I've just gone back and read everything in June. Might have missed
something, but I couldn't on first blush see anything that would
indicate that wifi stores or collects anything. So no, not a "device"; I
am genuinely curious as to how wifi collects or stores data - especially
payloads, but anything really.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156
Old fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF