[LINK] 'kill switch' bill passes US Senate Committee

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Sat Jun 26 10:17:26 AEST 2010

On 26/06/2010, at 10:03 AM, Fred Pilcher wrote:
> Can someone describe what would happen if the US turned off its Internet?
>
> Are the root servers distributed enough for the old "treats it as damage
> and routes around it" thing to kick in? Or is it, in fact, a US national
> asset?

Well, here's a map of the root servers. Enough?

    http://www.root-servers.org/map/

Australia has connections to the north and west to Asia and Europe that don't go through the US, and from there there's links to Africa and South America. Things might get a bit slow with the US nodes out of action, but then we are taking about an emergency situation.

If we talk up the threat enough we might trigger the building of some new fibre... share prices up... lovely!

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia