[LINK] [PRIVACY] BT: 'Are meters too smart by half?'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat Jun 26 15:37:50 AEST 2010

At 03:15 PM 26/06/2010, Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au wrote:
>Smart Grid Australia executive officer Paul Budde said their working group
>“very actively” sought customer input in finding solutions.
>
>But he said energy users had a responsibility to protect their details.
>
>“Let's be honest we have plenty of technology to make this as safe as
>humanly possible,” he said.
>
>“The major concern regarding privacy in general is not the technology but
>the way that users are so relaxed about it in the way they use their info,
>passwords, etc.”

Someone got their wirelesses crossed. How is a
user supposed to lock down something they have no
control over? That is just a stupid statement or
else the reporter and Budde were talking about two different things.

BTW, I heard a few weeks ago that the smart
meters being installed in Victoria do NOT come
with the ability for the homeowner to monitor
their data usage UNLESS the user purchases
additional equipment. The real "benefit" is the
remote access to data from the meter to reduce
meter reading costs. This "development" is another con on the consumer.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer