[LINK] Your Medicare records online

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Mar 3 12:29:49 AEDT 2010

At 11:32 AM 3/03/2010, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > however it is not known who or how far the information was allowed
> > to spread.
>
>They can't log that then.  They didn't talk to the snoopers and ask
>them at least?
>
>This is all happening now?  Our records are online now and accessible
>by any health professional?  Do we get any say over who accesses our
>information?  Do we get any right of approval about who accesses our
>medical data?  Do we even get told someone has accessed the data?

The Medicare snooping is 'insurance' info, but they could possibly
also see what is being paid for. I know there are codes for various
things. So one could deduce from what is coded. However, our full
records are not online. That is what the goal of the Ehealth effort
is about: linking or concatenating disbursed records by using the
IHIs to do the linkage. It's not an easy problem to solve.

All the rest of the questions are part of that 'bad planning' I
mentioned. The IHI bit is just the key to access something that may
never happen.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com