[LINK] Google Labs, Public Data Explorer

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Mar 10 13:57:33 AEDT 2010

This seems interesting ..

 http://www.google.com/publicdata/home

Google Labs: Data visualizations for a changing world

​The Google Public Data Explorer makes large datasets easy to explore,
visualize and communicate. As the charts and maps animate over time, the
changes in the world become easier to understand. You don't have to be a
data expert to navigate between different views, make your own
comparisons, and share your findings.

Explore the data

Students, journalists, policy makers and everyone else can play with the
tool to create visualizations of public data, link to them, or embed them
in their own webpages. Embedded charts and links can update automatically
so you’re always sharing the latest available data.

Here’s an example of an embedded visualization: ​This chart correlates
life expectancy and number of children per woman for most economies of
the world. The bubble sizes show population, and the colors represent
different regions of the world. You can also click on the play button to
see data change over time. The Explore data link in the bottom right
corner brings you to the explore tool that lets you play with the data by
highlighting regions, switching variables, or even adjusting the scale.

Learn more by visiting our FAQ and checking out our tutorial ..

​This is a Google Labs project, which means it's work in progress.

We are making it available now to gather feedback, but also to get in
contact with public data providers who want to try publishing some data
on this new platform. If you have data that deserves a broader audience,
please tell us about it.

--

Cheers Chris,
(via a tweet)