[LINK] Building the Australian National Health Network

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Mar 11 08:41:41 AEDT 2010

At 08:30 AM 11/03/2010, Tom Worthington wrote:
>The government could announce the goal that all public hospitals would
>be networked and all patent records would be available by a set date.
>Governments and companies which did not wish to cooperate would not be
>funded.

Been there, doing that.

www.nehta.gov.au

Still many problems. Let's see, this has been going on for about 10
years now, in exactly the way you suggest: 'small project' (in
various states and for various aspects of the medical process) and
'medium' project (HealthConnect). Some have succeeded and are moving
ahead, others have failed dismally.

Heck, there is even a bill before Parliament for the first
legislative change, creating -- ta da! -- individual health
identifiers, that is, a number for each and every one of us! Call it
Access Card 'lite'. Medicare is even proposed to manage the database!

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/clac_ctte/healthcare_identifier/hearings/index.htm

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com