[LINK] Building the Australian National Health Network

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Mar 11 14:13:44 AEDT 2010

At 01:40 PM 11/03/2010, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

>The GST was a move from State Taxes (stamp duty was abolished
>and I think payroll tax was also to go) to National Taxes.

Actually stamp duty wasn't abolished. It's still big time here in
Victoria. Don't know about NSW or the other states. I pay stamp duty
on my car reg each year and I believe some other payments, oh, rereg
of my business. There is also hefty stamp duty on property sales.

The GST handover was Costello's 'bribe' to get the states to support
the tax and eliminate the argy-bargy of the yearly grants to the
states process. How well that's worked out is up for grabs. As you
say, some states subsidise the smaller ones. That's called Federalism
and was going on via income and corporate tax redistribution anyway.
It's just that now there's a consumption tax to add to the pot.
Income taxes were reduced, but not state stamp duty as was part of
the original intent.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com