[LINK] Fwd: MR30/2010: Re-register now to avoid telemarketing calls [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Mar 11 22:51:40 AEDT 2010

At 03:36 PM 11/03/2010, Kim Holburn wrote:
>I don't understand why people should have to reregister.  What's wrong
>with a permanent registration?

The woman on ABC local this morning said it was because of 'bad'
numbers being left behind.

>Fair enough, but why is an phone account number sought (though not
>required, I understand): surely all that is needed is a phone number?
>
>iT

account? I just had to enter my numbers.

Stil said:
>Are people really so precious that they cope with occasionally
>glancing at their phone and not answering if they don't recognise
>the number? Or so desperate for contact that they can't just turn
>the phone off if they're doing something else?
>
>Very, very few of us are really on call requiring instant response
>to anyone who might thing they want us Right Now.

So you want me to install yet another piece of technology to see a
number that I won't remember anyway? And you do realise that
telemarketers block call numbers, right?  Turn of four phones? How?
Go around and take them all off hook? Why should I make myself
uncontactable by everyone because of the dregs? Some people do have
responsibilities for others that do require Right Now access (parents, carers).

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/