[LINK] ACS new? submission on ISP filtering

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Fri Mar 19 00:12:52 AEDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:22:52 +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:

> Some ISPs run transparent proxies.  It is really annoying if you are
> trying to manage a website on the other side of a transparent proxy.
> You know about it.  Most ISPs don't run them I think.  I'm not really
> sure how much they would really save verses the pain and hassle of
> keeping the thing running reasonably.  People notice when they break.

I was advised ages ago Internode ditched theirs because it caused too many
problems/hassle, and I'm under the impression most AU ISPs haven't been
operating transparent proxies for years.

[...]
> Won't there be an election between now and whenever the great
> Australian firewall is actually implemented?  Has the legislation even
passed yet?

No, the proposed legislation hasn't even been introduced into Parliament
yet. Conroy said in a media released in December that the govt 'expects' to
introduce it in the Autumn sittings - which ended today.

Report yesterday says Conroy's "office confirmed the drafting of the
legislation was still not complete":
http://www.itwire.com/it-policy-news/regulation/37640-internet-filter-draft
-legislation-delayed

Irene