[LINK] Newspapers online

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Mar 27 22:25:36 AEDT 2010

On 2010/Mar/27, at 4:06 PM, David Goldstein wrote:

> The article said "becoming the first media firm to test consumers'
> appetite to pay for mass-market news online." Note the words "mass-
> market".

What does it mean to you, "mass-market"?

In this article there's a chart of 27 newspapers who put up a paywall:

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2010/01/only-24-subscribe-at-newspaper-pay.html
> Only 2.4% subscribe at newspaper pay sites
> A puny 2.4% of print subscribers is the average number of people
> paying for online content at the handful of daily newspapers that
> have been bold enough to erect pay walls, according to a new survey.
>
> In the first comprehensive study of actual consumer willingness to
> pay for online news, ITZ/Belden Interactive delivered both good and
> bad tidings to publishers hoping to begin charging for their content.

The real problem is that printed newspapers are funded by advertising,
not the token fee or subscription.  The internet does classifieds
better than newspapers ever could.

http://blog.wakefly.com/bid/11478/Online-Newspaper-Pay-Walls-Online-Newspapers-Fail-to-Monetize

> First, the New York Times failed with Times Select. Now, the same
> fate has befallen Newsday's pay wall:
>
> In late October, Newsday, the Long Island daily that the Dolans
> bought for $650 million, put its web site, newsday.com, behind a pay
> wall. The paper was one of the first non-business newspapers to take
> the plunge by putting up a pay wall, so in media circles it has been
> followed with interest. Could its fate be a sign of what others,
> including The New York Times, might expect?
>
> So, three months later, how many people have signed up to pay $5 a
> week, or $260 a year, to get unfettered access to newsday.com?
>
> The answer: 35 people. As in fewer than three dozen. As in a decent-
> sized elementary-school class.
>
> Times Select had readers pay $50 a year to read the newspaper's
> columnists as well as have access to the full, historical archives
> and other premium material. After drawing 221,000 subscribers, the
> newspaper pulled the initiative because advertising revenue
> declined. Newsday took it one step further and charged for all
> website access (except for print subscribers). Both did not succeed.

And yet there are also successful examples of online newspapers with
paywalls.