[LINK] RIP Google Maps Contour Feature

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Tue May 4 23:28:20 AEST 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:
> I'm a fairly frequent user of Google Maps (particularly for walking
> in Australian, Swiss, Austrian and Italian mountains).
>
> But my time left using Google Maps may be even shorter than my time
> left doing 1000m walks.  So it looks like I need to go looking for an
> alternative.
>
> And I'm a realist:  there aren't any at this stage that are anywhere
> near as good.  (Even though all they're doing is cleverly processing
> obscure-looking national data and cleverly displaying the results in
> accessible formats).

Have you tried the OpenCycleMap website? Here's a snapshot of the
terrain west of Canberra:
http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=13&lat=-35.28483&lon=149.03079&layers=B000

This is based off the NASA SRTMv2 digital elevation dataset which
provides 90 m area averaged accuracy worldwide (30m areas in North
America). If you're put off by the remote possibly of someone knowing
where you lookup on opencyclemap (or the colorscheme of the bike
routes superimposed), there's the ability to produce your own:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contours and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/HikingBikingMaps