[LINK] National Broadband Network - except it's not national.

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu May 6 16:30:17 AEST 2010

I'm confused. I thought the National Broadband Network would be
national. Silly me.

Taken from the document at
http://resources.news.com.au/files/2010/05/06/1225863/153247-nbn-implementation-study-pdf.pdf

Page 27, section 1.3.1
<extract>

As described in Section 1.2 NBN Co's operations should be confined to
those areas where the market has not delivered a competitive outcome on
its own - this principle should also apply to NBN Co's participation in
backhaul. Commercial operators like Optus, Nextgen Networks, Pip
Networks and Telstra have created competitive backhaul markets on
high-traffic routes. NBN Co should not overbuild these links for the
purpose of creating a contiguous national network. In the absence of
market failure, there is no commercial rationale for NBN Co to duplicate
this investment and duplication would be harmful to competition and
industry investment incentives.

</extract>

So the NBN is not "a contiguous national network". It's a collection of
regional hubs connected to access points (homes and business) with
backhaul to provide connectivity where it has not been commercially
viable. (see page 29, Exhibit 1-7)

No wonder it's predicted that it will cost less than previously estimated.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn