[LINK] Open Source Chrome+

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:43:52 AEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:11 AM, andrew clarke <mail at ozzmosis.com> wrote:
> On Sun 2010-05-09 13:30:37 UTC+0000, stephen at melbpc.org.au (stephen at melbpc.org.au) wrote:
>
>> The Chrome Operating System.
>>
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/business/09ping.html?th&emc=th> (snip)
>>

>> Google is not expected to unveil the highly anticipated Chrome OS until
>> the end of the year, and the software is expected to run, at first, only
>> on the class of low-cost PCs called netbooks.
>>
>> (But) people are downloading home-brewed versions of the operating system
>> derived from the esoteric source code, which Google releases under the
>> name Chromium.
>
> This is a little muddled on account of Google's branding.
>
> My understanding is that Chromium is the code name for the open source
> version of the Chrome web browser, and Chromium OS is the code name
> for the open source version of the Chrome OS.  The article refers to
> Chromium OS.

You´re correct. The wording on the article left me scratching my head
for a while. It´s clear the writer was a bit clueless. But coming from
the mainstream press ...why doesn´t it surprise me?.

In any case, I hope everyone forgets about Google´s attempts to crete
an OS and that more open projects like Moblin / Megoo end up wining.
Google continues pretending the GPL does not exist (see Chromium
release as BSD) and trying to re-invent the wheel with its own
approaches i.e. for printing "through the cloud"....

http://www.techeye.net/security/google-wants-to-intercept-all-the-worlds-print-jobs

Just my $0.02...
FC