[LINK] National Broadband Network - except it's not national.

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue May 11 09:32:05 AEST 2010

David Boxall wrote:
> On 7/05/2010 10:31 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
>> If the primary way to access the Internet is from a wireless mobile
>> device, then most of the need for fibre to the home disappears.
> That's a big if. ...

Wireless mobile is becomming mainstream. Smart phones are getting
cheaper and more common. Netbooks are now under $500 and a crop of
cheaper iPad inspired tablet computers is on the way.

The cost of wireless Internet access is dropping and can drop much more:
never mind mining, the government should put a super-profits tax on
wireless Internet. ;-)

Many of the people I see each day have a mobile gadget in use much of
the time, either a smart phone or a netbook computer, or both (few
tablets so far). Admittedly these are early adopters, not a
cross section of society.

A few weeks ago I came across Dr Genevieve Bell, Digital Home Group
Director, User Experience Group, Intel Corporation, at the cafe of the
State Library of South Australia, with a smart phone in one hand and a
laptop in the other. Each device had a wireless connection and she was
looking from one to the other, while holding a conversation on the
relative merits of the iPad versus Kindle:
<http://blog.tomw.net.au/2010/04/adelaide-north-terrace-cultural.html>. ;-)

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au