[LINK] Google's WiFi bungle

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue May 18 12:18:22 AEST 2010

Far be it from me to be an apologist for google but the thing they
appear to have done wrong here is not mention the fact they'd
collected wifi data.  We're talking here about data that people are
"broadcasting".  Broadcasting to public streets.

If you are really serious about your security you don't use wireless.
(You probably don't use the internet.)  You don't broadcast your
internet activity to the public street.  Are you that serious?  Didn't
think so.

I don't see how it's against the law in most countries to receive
wireless as you drive.  Connecting via other people's wireless is a
different matter and google hasn't mentioned that they did this.

I don't see this as google's bungle.  It's our bungle.

There're websites out there with collections of wifi SSID names that
people have gathered while commuting to work.  Some of them are quite
funny.

http://wtfwifi.tumblr.com/
http://listoftheday.blogspot.com/2010/02/amusing-wi-fi-network-names-of-day.html
http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2009/12/30/wifi-for-passive-aggressives