[LINK] Can a web server be powered by a wind turbine?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue May 18 13:06:06 AEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010, Tom Worthington wrote:

> It is easier to reduce the load of a web server, than a database server
> or an arbitrary computer application. If you are in the middle of a
> database transaction and the system slows, or stops, then a complex back
> out and recovery may be needed.

I don't agree with this particular take on web services being simpler
than database services, or the reverse.

> > Considering that there??s web servers for the smallest of devices
> > (even PalmOS smartphones and PDAs) ...
>
> The application I had in mind was for large web servers, consuming
> megawatts of power, from a large wind turbine.

Increasing software efficiency doesn't give as much savings?

Targetting more efficient platforms with less complicated predictive/
out-of-order/speculative-preduction/etc; slower memory/IO;etc -
this doesn't give as much savings?

Do you have any further references to read?

Adrian