[LINK] Google's WiFi bungle

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 19 12:05:37 AEST 2010

At 08:15 AM 19/05/2010, Stephen Wilson wrote:
>but then they turn around and act as though privacy
>and secrecy *are* the same thing, because if information is "public"
>they think privacy no longer applies.

True. And the relationship between company secrets and privacy is all
muddled as well in the minds of some IT types. Confidentiality,
privacy, secrecy, consent, etc. It's a big cloud of confusion in
actual places unless there is an effort and risk management
consideration as well as specific policies and enforcement when
things go wrong. Google's problem is that they aren't learning from
their "mistakes", which makes them look either evil or stupid. I
doubt they are either. But they are doing this for some reason.
Everything in business is done for some reason.

What was Bush's thing about shame on you or shame on me? Google now
has two major strikes in this space.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com